Vzdělávání v České republice (Education in the Czech Republic)
Vzdělávání v České republice je zpracované téma vhodné jako maturitní otázka nebo jako téma anglické konverzace.
School attendance in the Czech Republic is compulsory (povinná) from the age of 6. Children (or their parents) can choose among state, private or church schools. Education at state schools is free of charge (zdarma), but at private and church schools you have to pay fees (poplatky).
The school year starts on 1st september and ends on 30th June and is divided into two terms. At the end of each term children are given their school report (vysvědčení). They are evaluated (oceněni) by marks from 1 to 5, of course 1 is the best.
The system of education:
1. Pre-school education (3 months – 6 years)
a) nurseries (jesličky) – for children of employed mothers (from 3 months)
b) nursery schools – for older children (from 3 – 6 years) – children acquire basic social habits (základní sociální návyky), play or go for walks; nowadays at some nursery schools children also learns English
2. Primary education
- is provided at primary schools (they are also called basic schools) (základní školy), children are given some basic knowledge here, some primary schools are designed for specially gifted children (nadané děti) and there are also schools for children with mental ot physical handicaps
3. Secondary schools
a) grammar schools
- (česky: gymnázia)
- prepare studenta for universities
b) vocational schools
- train students for for practical jobs (branches of industry, agriculture, medicine, national economy…)
c) special schools
- (also called apprentice schools) – train for special work – this includes technical colleges, business academies, agricultural and nursing schools
Secondary school education is finished with a school leaving exam (= maturita), without having the school leaving certificate you can’t apply for study at university.
4) Tertiary education
universities and colleges– you can choose between a a three-year course for Bachelor’s Degree and frive-year course for Master’s Degree