Reálie Velké Británie - Britská královská rodina
British Royal Family (Britská královská rodina)
- The British Royal Family’s surname is Windsor.
- They changed their name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor in 1917, because of an anti-German sentiment (proti-německé hnutí) that rose up during the World War One.
- King George V renounced (vzdal se) all the German titles belonging to him and his family and adopted the name of his castle, Windsor.
- The Royal family are members of the Church of England (they can only be Church of England because Roman Catholics are barred from succession (nemohou být následníky trůnu)).
- Queen Elizabeth II was born on 21 April, 1926 in London, but her birthday is officially celebrated in Britain on 3rd Saturday of June.
- She became the Queen on 6 February 1962 after her father King George VI died.
- She lives in Buckingham palace with her husband HRH Prince Philip who she got married in 1947.
- They have 3 sons (Charles, Andrew and Edward) and one daughter Anne.
- The Queen has 7 grandchildren.
- The official title of Queen is Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- Queen Elizabeth II is the United Kingdom’s Head of State.
- She is queen of 16 former (bývalý) British colonies, including Australia, Canada and New Zealand; and head of the Commonwealth, a multinational body created after the dissolution (rozpuštění) of the British Empire.
- She is a ‚constitutional monarch‚, this means that although she is officially the head of the state, the country is actually run by the government, led by the Prime Minister.
Zdroj obrázku: NASA/Bill Ingalls [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons